Welcome to WordPress.com. This is your first post. Edit or delete it and start blogging!
Following the anti-cuts protest in All Saints Park at 12pm on Monday 22nd November 2010, in which a group of 150 students marched around MMU All Saints Campus around 50 of these students are engaged in the occupation of a lecture theatre in the MMU Geoffrey Manton building. We are in protest against the rise in tuition fees and the planned funding cuts by the Government. We call upon all three Manchester Universities to join us in this protest, and for all Universities nationwide to follow our example before the vote on legislation on Wednesday 24th November 2010. We feel the Government has no mandate to push through their attack on higher education gaining as a paltry 36% of the popular vote. They are only able to pursue their agenda due to the support of the Liberal Democrat Party, who promised before the general election not to increase tuition fees. Our demands are as follows...
• No repercussions to anyone involved in the protest and/or occupation
• Statement from VC against the cuts on a national and MMU level
• Scrap EQAL
• Free access for all to building and facilities
• Scrapping of late campaign and whoever initiated it to explain themselves
• Open all the financial accounts, documents and internal memoranda to scrutiny by students’ and the students’ union.
• No to any job cuts including voluntary redundancies, and departments
There is no indication as to how long this occupation will last.